Vehicles like the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica offer many car safety features for the family.
That old saying of “hindsight is 20/20” is true in more ways than one, but especially when it comes to having kids. As a single person, the car you drive has little thought to the safety of kids. Then, when marriage and (many times shortly thereafter) the little infant comes along, you quickly realize that the car of your single days just doesn’t cut it when it comes to safety, and you’re not wrong in that feeling. Vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for children between 1 and 13. Here at Lake Wales Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, we have a few important recommendations and reminders that will help you along the way.
For example, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers “A Parent’s Guide to Playing it Safe with Kids and Cars,” which offers tips for finding the right car seat, car safety features that help protect children, and cautions about dangers in and around the vehicle. Read below to find out more about some of these tips and reminders!
Modern Car Features that Help Keep Kids Safe
- Automatic door locks is something that can offer parents of small children a little more peace of mind. They reduce the risk of ejection in a car crash. Some cars have them when the car is put into gear or when it reaches a certain speed.
- All new vehicles come with push-down, pull-up window switches. This safety feature helps mitigate the risk of trapped hands, arms, or other body parts if the automatic windows are played with by children.
- Many cars now come with side airbags that cover back seat passengers. Note, however, that not all side airbags in vehicles are created equal! We’re pleased to share that the NHTSA has given the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica a five star safety rating for front, side and passenger side airbags!
- A newer item offered on cars— standard on most vehicles— is an interior trunk release. To a toddler or young child, it might be tempting to climb into the trunk during a game of hide and seek. Make sure your children know how to free themselves should they ever be trapped in a trunk.
- Another option on many vehicles is a rearview camera. These can help you prevent a tragic accident involving a child at play or a backover as it allows you to see a wide range behind you on your dashboard.
These are just some of the many safety features that can help make you and your children safe when in and around cars. When you come visit us at our car dealership in Lake Wales, check out our new car inventory or pre-owned vehicles and any one of our Five Star team can help you find a vehicle that will help keep you and your family safe.